Sunday 30 June 2019

Steampunkalia 29th and 30th June 2019

Steampunkalia 29th and 30th June 2019

I started writing conventions diaries - which turned into my blog - because the words "Games Convention" covered a multitude of sins. I thought it would be useful to tell people about the difference between a local club's "Games Day" in a local church hall and beasts like the UK Games Expo.  It turns out the same is true of Steampunk Conventions.

When I have a spare weekend and can't find a Games Convention to go to, I look to attend other "geek" conventions to offer to run introductory TTRPGs. Science Fiction, ComicCons, Anime and Steampunk. Steampunk ones are by far my favourite. As a hobby it studiously defies definition. But it's something to do with cogs. And I find Steampunks - with their universally "splendid" attitudes - to be open to new ideas and to be the closest type of non-gaming geek to gamers.

As you know, last weekend I attended "The Town that Never Was" organised by "The Ministry of Steampunk" at the Ironbridge Gorge museum. This weekend I attended "Steampunkalia" at the Nottingham Industrial Museum. (Nope, I'd never heard of it either.) This one was organised by the promotional department of the Museum in order to attract more visitors. So last week was Steampunk using the Museum, this week was the Museum using Steampunk. A minor but interesting difference.

As usual I found out about it by accident and wrote off at pretty much the last minute. Luckily they accepted me. At first I was told I'd have a pitch outdoors, the later they found me a space inside.

The event is a two day one running from 11:00-4:00 on Saturday and Sunday. The museum shuts at night and there is no evening event. Though Nottingham is only a short train ride from Birmingham, the British rail system was unable to deliver me to Nottingham early enough Sunday morning, so the option of travelling home Saturday night (as I'd done the previous weekend) was denied me. So I had to book into a hotel - which massively increased my costs.

With it not starting until 11:00am and Nottingham being so close, I was able to get up at sensible o'clock to travel. When I arrived at Nottingham station, the taxi driver there didn't know where the Museum was either, but the organisers had supplied me with superb directions. The museum is in Woolaton Park, just outside the city. A sweeping vista of grass and trees - home to a herd of red deer. Beautiful creatures, lovely setting. It's next door to Woolaton Hall, a large Manor House. A 16th century ex-industrial something or other. (It has a working Steam "Beam Engine" whatever that is.)

There's a courtyard outside the door to the museum - where the shops and facilities are - and a further one inside where events take place. I was given a spot in the main hall just inside the museum. I was the first thing visitors would see of the convention after they'd paid. A blessing because I got to pounce on them and got lots of passing trade. However, they always say they'll see the rest of the convention first and will pop back. I'd have to catch them on the way out.

My display was in front of some historical lace-making machines. The second week running when I had to take care not to damage antiques.

Just like last week, the attendees were a combination of Steampunks and ordinary museum visitors. Some of the latter seemed a bit disgruntled at being asked to pay an entry fee. The museum is usually free. And - I have to say - the volunteer manning the desk could be a bit brusque at times.

Some of the museum volunteers had embraced the event by dressing up but many hadn't, which was a shame.

As well as myself the convention had the usual range of trade stalls and shows. Next to me was the photo booth where Steampunks could have their photo taken or ordinary punters could dress up as Steampunks. But the highlight of Saturday was the Steampunk Owl display. I didn't see the display itself but saw the three birds up close and they were truly magnificent creatures.

Saturday was the hottest day of the year - and heat and Steampunk is an interesting mix. Trade was steady but not overwhelming.

I met and talked to lots of people. I ran three games. In the morning I ran a Superhero game for a young mother and her two enthusiastic young sons and her shy young daughter - who was absolutely at the lower end of the age range for my games. I kept it short and when a TPK seemed imminent, bent the die rolls to allow the young girl to save the day. Everyone seemed happy.

I then had a game with a very mixed table. There was a very elegant older lady - who sometimes plays the "Swords and Cogsticks" game - and what I presume was her young grandson.  As we started playing more people joined in, including a very experienced gamer I'd chatted to earlier. And we attracted a small audience. This was a Steampunk game - The Great Airship Robbery. A reporter for BBC radio Nottingham watched for a bit. Everyone enjoyed the game and the young boy wanted to come back later, so I promised to keep his improvements written on his characters sheet until he returned.

I then did a short interview with the radio Nottingham reporter (who was also called "Burley") about what I was going at the event. The experienced gamer also stated to give a players perspective on my game which was great. Of course - as role-player -he was very erudite and expansive and - as an author and referee - I felt he bit into MY time in the spotlight a bit. Hubris, eh? I need to find out when/if the interview is/was broadcast.

After lunch - a tasty and filling cheese pasty from the museum cafe - I ran a third game. As promised the young man and his grandmother(?) returned and we added another couple of players to play "One of our Dinosaurs is Missing". Luckily there were lots of fish at the end to entrap the missing Diplodocus. He ended up taking s photo of "his" character sheet so he can continue playing the game if his family buy the rules.

The only negative thing was that, periodically, one of the lace making machines would fire up as a demonstration and it was a bit noisy - pretty much on the DragonDaze PA level of noise - and I had to raise my voice a bit.

All too soon, we had to clear up. I'd booked myself a hotel on the edge of the park so it was easy to get to. I hadn't organised myself anything to do Saturday evening and didn't  feel like making the trip into town to see a film or anything. So I had a quiet night.

Because the hotel was so close to the event, I was able to have a relaxing morning and arrive fairly late by my standards. But everyone else seemed to be even later. I bumped into a pie man who'd come for the day and we found our way in together.

Sunday was cooler than Saturday and much, much, much busier. Though there were no owls, the events seems to be a step up from Saturday with a unicycle riding fire-eater and a highly superior Steampunk singer ("Captain of the Lost Waves"?)

Despite it being busier, I only got to run two games. The Great Airship Robbery for an eclectic combination of older people and The Missing Dinosaur for three European students. There were just too many other events on to attract people's attention. I also ate some bespoke pies from the pieman I met earlier (Pork and Stilton, Pork and Black Pudding).

Worst thing was they set up a Steampunk jewellery stall directly opposite me and they had Steampunk goggles with a variety of lenses - including ones related to gaming. I just HAD to have them and ended up splashing out on set. They're really nice and will be great when I offer games at the BIG steampunk in the summer. But, still, it was an indulgence.

Best thing was I realised that you could sing "We will rock you" to the rhythm of the loud lacemaking machine and even got the jewellers to join in!

The end came all to soon again and I was soon on my way home.

I enjoyed the event. However, even though I ended up running more games than last weekend, the cost of the hotel meant that I have to do some serious thinking about future events. Is it really worth me travelling to short - 5 hours per day - events with nothing to do in the evening? I need to plan my conventions much much further in advance.

If you're local and want to sample Steampunk I'd recommend the event. The stalls and shows justify the entry fee on their own, and then you've got a great industrial museum to search through on top. And then, on your way home, you can stop to take a look at the deer or play in the park. I wouldn't recommend it for TTRPGs, though. I may not be there next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment